This 20 acre park with its attractive gardens, popular children’s play area and sunken rose garden is located on Uppingham Road, approximately three miles to the east of the city centre.
Humberstone Park was opened in 1925 and was one of six multi-purpose parks created in Leicester at that time. In the 1920’s Leicester’s built up areas increased rapidly and the City Council embarked on a programme to ensure there was a major park within easy reach of each emerging suburban district. Other parks created at this time were Braunstone, Knighton, Evington, Rushey Fields and Aylestone.
The house on the park was erected by Thomas Tertius Pageat, a local banker who became a leading figure in Lloyds. The letters TTP are inscribed above the door. Pageat built several other houses in the Humberstone area and all feature distinctive, ornate chimneys.
Humberstone village, where the park is located, is thought to take its name from the Danish ‘Hubba’s Ton’, which refers to Hubba’s village or settlement of people. Humberstone may also derive from Humberd – the place of a bard’s worship.
The Brook, which flows through the park, was at one time damned and used as a boating lake by local people. Since the 1950’s it has been straightened and the banks are now planted with willow, birch and hazel.
The Rally Bank
Between 1883 and 1962 thousands of people used this line to travel to Skegness for their summer holidays. Now abandoned, the bank is a haven for wild plants and animals. The adjacent nature reserve was created from a former allotment site and as well as wild plants such as hawthorn and bramble some original allotment species can still be found.
The Humberstone Park User Group meets regularly to discuss issues relating to the park. Everyone is welcome. Contact the park for more details.
Refreshments are available at the Humberstone Park Café, open 7 days week.
Parks Sporting Facilities
3 Football pitches
4 Hard surface tennis courts
Map of the Area
Leicester City Council Parks
Leicester City Museums
Leicester Through Lens